OUR HISTORY SPEAKS FOR OURSELVES
We are leaders in the education and training of tourism human resources.
Turismo de Portugal, integrated within the Ministry of the Economy, is the national tourism authority responsible for training and qualifying the tourism sector human resources and for the technical and pedagogical research. It also coordinates, implements and recognizes the courses and vocational training actions in this area. Moreover, it certifies the professional skills required for tourism careers (in DL n.º 129/2012, de 22 de junho).
Enhance the qualification of human resources in the sector, regarding the plans of action enrolled in "Tourism Strategy 2027" which include:
• highlight tourism professions and the development of courses and training programs that respond to market needs;
• knowledge transfer from educational institutions and research centers to enterprises
Turismo de Portugal also manages a network of 12 schools that aim to teach and train young people and to prepare them for their first job, improving the quality and prestige of the different tourism careers.
In January 2018 the OMT distinguished Turismo de Portugal schools training projet – known by Tourism Training Talent - with the first place in the Innovation and Public Policy category during the 14th edition of the UNWTO awards, for its example of training of future generations of human resources in the sector.
Based on the "Tourism Strategy 2027, Tourism Training Talent (TTT) is a training program provided by our network of 12 Tourism Schools, focused essentially on people's talents, soft skills development, innovation and internationalization of tourism professionals, as a basis for the success of the sector in Portugal.
This program aims, in particular:
• increase the skills of students and professionals;
• adapt training to new trends, opening schools to the community;
• encouraging innovation and entrepreneurship;
• expanding the role of training to other activities, enhancing careers and promoting work in tourism.